Expanding education with online video
In the face of the rich-media revolution, educational institutions are using video to power every aspect of campus life. The challenge is finding media infrastructure that is agile, scalable, and cost effective.
Kaltura offers the market’s only open source video platform for education–a full-featured framework with live and on demand video apps for teaching and learning, distance education, campus websites, libraries and preservation, digital asset management, clubs and events, and more.
The platform is in use by over 60,000 global publishers, including leading universities and colleges, such as MIT, Cornell, Columbia, University of Southern California, Penn State, University of Virginia, University of Pennsylvania and more.
Key Products & Applications
Kaltura Management Console (KMC) – Media Management and Publishing Console
The KMC enables full management, publishing and syndication of rich media to campus websites, learning environments, or iTunesU. It can be used as an independent product and provisioned to LMS, media services, communications, or library teams managing live or on demand content. It also sits as an administrative interface behind other video applications.
Learning Management Systems Extensions
Kaltura integrates into all leading Learning Management Systems, with pre-integrated extensions for BlackBoard, Moodle, Sakai, Desire2Learn, and SharePoint. Teachers and students can easily upload videos or audio files, record from a webcam, integrate lecture capture files, submit video assignments, or create personal media collections – all within an easy-to-use, intuitive interface, and within the secure authorization and single-sign-on framework of any LMS.
MediaSpace™ (a YouTube® for your campus)
A fully customizable media destination site just for your campus or community! MediaSpace comes in 2 flavors: Publisher Edition, which mirrors content in the media management console and can be used to distribute lecture capture files or any media collection on campus, and Social Edition, which includes user accounts, uploading, and player embedding, and other collaborative features.
Content Management & Lecture Capture Systems Extensions
Kaltura includes out-of-the-box extensions for leading CMS platforms, including WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, BuddyPress, ELGG and more. In addition, Kaltura can be integrated into your lecture capture systems to add a content management layer that allows for easy embedding or ingestion of media from the lecture capture environment to the LMS, MediaSpace, or other applications.
Advanced Features and the Kaltura Exchange
In addition to the core products, Kaltura has a robust library of advanced features and applications that can be added to your platform directly from our application marketplace, the Kaltura Exchange
Advanced education applications include:
- Video assignment tools
- Video-PowerPoint™ synchronization players
- In-browser Online Video Editors
- Transcription and Subtitling Tools
- Enhanced Accessibility – 508 Compliant Players
- Mobile Streaming tools, including iPhone, iPad and Android capabilities
- Live Streaming
- Video Commenting and Annotations
- Conference-in-a-Box interfaces for rapid event coverage
10 Facts About Kaltura in Education
- Open Source (no vendor lock-in)
- Most widely recognized video solution in higher ed
- Available as a hosted or on premise solution
- Plugs in to ALL leading Learning Management Systems
- Includes out-of-the-box applications and customizable tools
- Supports video, audio, images and other rich media
- Online editing, mobile, iPad, and HTML5 support
- Integrates into SSO and LDAP environments
- Allows you to create a campus “YouTube”
- ONLY platform that addresses media use ACROSS campus.
Watch the Kaltura Inspire Webinars
- Upcoming Webinar: Introducing Kaltura’s Video Building Block for Blackboard – Regsiter now!
- An Introduction to Open Video
- Expanding Education with Online Video
- Forrester Best Practices & 2010 Predictions for Online Video
- The Future of Video In Education
- Enhancing Your LMS & EDU Programs with Online Video
Kaltura Inspire: Expanding Education with Online Video – Recording, Presentations, Q&A
- Ron Yekutiel, Kaltura CEO
- Leah Belsky, Kaltura Director of Strategic Accounts
- Chris Millet, Manager of Advanced Learning Projects (ETS), The Pennsylvania State University
- Jason Cole, Chief Operating Officer, Remote-learner.net
- Broadcast Duration: 01:16:00
- Total Tweets: 16
- Registered: 185
- Attended: 94
- Average time in session: 00:50:00
- Meet Leah Belsky and Ofer Ballin from the Kaltura education team at EDUCAUSE and the EDUCAUSE Open Source Reception, November 4th, 2009
- Register for the next Kaltura Inspire Webinar
- Watch the last webinar – Kaltura Inspire: An Introduction to Open Video
- Watch other Kaltura Inspire webinars
- Read about Kaltura’s solutions for education [Download Kaltura’s Education Product Guide PDF]
- Continue the discussion in the education forum